[ale] remote X from other OSs

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Sun Aug 8 21:22:16 EDT 1999

On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Jeff Martin wrote:

> I don't know the protocol for a "delurk" for a maillist..but here goes.
>
> My name is Jeff Martin, I am one of the members of the Linux Club at
> Devry (decatur).
>
> We have convinced the Administration that we need a Linux server inside
> the firewall-- since there will only be one for the next 10 weeks , and
> then only three, we wanted to have some kind of software on the Windows
> machines so that X-windows could be run on multiple machines
> concurrently.
>
> Let me know what you think.

Noting what others have said....

I have used VNC, Exceed and SuperX.

VNC works truly well, however, it sends everything as an uncached bitmap,
so it runs very slowly if you have a slow connection.

Exceed works truly well.  I have used it over a 33.6k modem connection,
even.

SuperX I would avoid like the plague.  I have been in a workplace where
Frontier's TCP/IP utility suite was the standard, and they used SuperX.
It was not stable at that time, nor were any of the other components in
the suite.  That was over a year ago, so YMMV.

My recommendation:  Exceed, if you can afford it, VNC if you can't.

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
US Troops out of Kosovo NOW!