[ale] fun with processes

Michelangelo Grigni mic at mathcs.emory.edu
Sat Aug 7 13:50:46 EDT 1999

gnies writes:
> Screen is a terminal multiplexor.  The effect is similar to alternate
> consoles on Linux.
> I've used screen for 4+ years now.  Screen gets around the above in a
> tricky way.
> Screen actually runs as two processes.  The first is attached to the
> current tty.
> The second does all the real work -- it opens a pseudo-tty (pty) for
> each new terminal window.  The two screens communicate via a unix domain
> socket that lives either in /tmp
> or in your home directory under .screen

A tool called "pty", by DJ Bernstein, did this and several
other pty tricks in early 1990s; I never tried it in
Linux, just Solaris.  I think it was actually better than
screen about security issues (maybe screen is better now).
It is probably still around in the comp.unix.sources
archives.  I guess he is too busy to support it now, see
http://www.eff.org/bernstein/ for some recent exploits.