[ale] tpdualscan binary - newbie perplexed at compilation error

hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu
Fri Aug 6 09:40:05 EDT 1999

 Jeff Dilcher" <dilcher at cueva.com> wrote:

> I have found the source, and am trying to compile
> the binary.  I am getting the following output:
>
> ld: cannot open -lc: No such file or directory
>
> not being a programmer, I am not sure what to make
> of this error, or, more importantly, how to remedy.

This is strange.  For some reason the linker (called by the compiler) is not
able to find the standard c library.  This means that almost nothing should
work on your system.  libc is used by almost every program.

libc should be in either /lib or /usr/lib (or both).  You could try putting
-L/lib early on in the compile line and see if anything changes.

Try "locate libc.so" to find where your libc is stored.  (For this to work you
either have to leave your computer on overnight at least once, or run
"/etc/cron.daily/updatedb.cron" once by hand.

--Michael