[ale] fun with processes

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Thu Aug 5 18:50:38 EDT 1999

Ben Phillips wrote:

> Is there a way to resume a backgrounded process from a shell other than the
> one that initiated it?

No.

>  If not, why?

It would involve re-parenting the background process with the
new shell. There's no reason in principle it can't be done,
but it would require kernel modifications.

One thing that might be made to work would be to redirect
a process's standard input and output to a pair of FIFOs
(man mkfifo), then connecting a simple "copy to and from
the user" script to the same pair of FIFOs. I played
with this a bit but couldn't make it work exactly
right. Many apps refuse to run if they're not connected
to a tty. Also your background process may hang if there's
nothing to read the FIFO, but I'm not sure about that.

Luck,

-- Joe

>                       __   _                 "If pro is opposite of con,
> Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,    then what is the opposite of
> pynk at cc.gatech.edu   |  | ()|||||||||[:::)   progress?  Congress!"
>                      \__.-._)         '''     -- men's restroom, House of
>                                               Representatives, Washington

-- Joe Knapka
* I speak only for myself, except when the little transceiver
* at the base of my skull is activated...