[ale] Asus motherboards

matt myurman at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 1 22:37:12 EDT 1999

At 05:32 PM 8/1/99 EDT, you wrote:
>On Sun, 01 Aug 1999 00:15:05 -0400 matt <myurman at mindspring.com> writes:
>>my experiance has been they work fine with linux.  however, i can't
>>recommend them.  they can only cache 128mb of ram and i find that
>unacceptable.
>
>Why so? I will be extremely happy if I can get even 128M RAM. (This
>system has 24)
its a matter of taste and personal preference.  i am running with 192MB of ram
and might soon go for the upgrade to 256MB.  ram is reasonably cheap these
days
and historically seems to get cheaper. i like to leave room for expansion.

>>a better choice might be a mother board based on the VIA MVP3 chipset
>since
>>they usually can cache 256mb or more of ram and the chipsets seem to be
>a little
>>less buggy and better supported.
>
>Do you have any suggestions? (I want one that costs $90 or less and has
>all the features that the described P5A and P5A-B had, with the exception
>of maybe one more ISA instead of a PCI.)

I personally have a Epox MVP3-G board and got it for $85 or so.  they recently
released a newer one that is quite similar except it has ata66 support.  i
partially bought this board for its hardware monitoring features.  its kinda
fun to know how fast all my fans are spinning sometimes ;-) as Glenn mentioned
a dfi board seems like a ok deal and is available locally in your price
range.  they also seem to use the VIA chipset.  the kernel has support for
it already
and it seems to work fine for me.

btw - i have nothing against asus boards, i think they're quite fine, but
i don't think the chipset on those to is particularly good