[ale] FAILED INSTALL -> xcdroast on RedHat5.2 <- What Now ?

Eric Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 19 19:51:17 EDT 1999

Courtney Thomas wrote:

> Greetings !
>
> Installed the xcdroast.rpm on redhat5.2 and am not allowed to choose
> "necessary" options in  install, e.g. which burner I'm using, even
> though it detects it, etc.....
>
> BTW, must I compile in generic SCSI support, even though using  IDE
> ATAPI drive?
>
> Even though I clicked on "don't show again" the disclaimer keeps
> insisting.
>
> Also, when I attempt to "Copy Data CD", as soon as I click, the screen
> blows up and on reviewing the xterm from which I launched xcdroast, it
> never cleans up and exits w/o ctrl-C.
>
> I installed as follows:
>
>     cd /usr/local/bin
>     rpm -ivh xcdroast*.rpm
>
> BTW, my burner is supported.
>
> Guidance appreciated,
>
>     ccthomas at flash.net

Hi Courtney,

I'm using redhat 5.2 with a SCSI cdrom writer and the
latest xcdroast package.  We've had success in doing all of the
things you are tlaking about.

It sounds to me like the problems you have might be related to
permissions problems on the .xcdroast file.  Are you running as
root?  We always run the burner after doing an 'su' to root.

Furthermore, you must compile your kernel with IDE-SCSI emulation.
I don't know about SCSI generic support, but it wouldn't hurt
to do that too.  Then you have to change all references on your cdrom
from /dev/hd? to /dev/scd0.  that kind of stinks.

-Eric.