[ale] Video card for XFree86 at high res

Steve Tynor tynor at outside.atlanta.twr.com
Mon Apr 19 17:31:45 EDT 1999

Thanks to all for all the help with my SiS 8326 video configuration
problem. The concensus is that I'd done pretty much all there was to do:
the card simply is not yet supported well under XFree86 3.3.3.

So...  It's time to choose a different card.  Here are the ones the
dealer carries for which I could swap.   My requirement is to be able to
run >=1280x1024, >=24bpp, >=75Hz refresh, non-interlaced.

Which of the following cards are best supported (at those resolutions)
by XFree86?

	Card				XFree86 server

	Matrox Millenium G200		XF86_SVGA
	ATI Fury			??? not supported?
	TNT "Riva"			XF86_SVGA
	3D Interactive "Banshee"	??? not supported?

(I've checked http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html, but am looking for
some folk with real-world experience with these cards -- I naively
thought the SiS card would work based on my preliminary browing of the
web -- would like a warm fuzzy that whatever I replace it with will
"just work").

If you'd recommend "none of the above", what's a good, reliable card
that I ought to be looking for?  I'm not a game player, so 3d gaming
engines aren't all that important for me: I'm just looking for a good
high res x server for lots of xterms, emacs's, netscape windows.

Thanks a bunch!

Never express yourself more clearly than you think. -- Niels Bohr

Steve Tynor		Email:   Steve.Tynor at atlanta.twr.com
Tower Technology 	WWW:     http://www.twr.com/
Server-Side Java (tm) Performance Experts