[ale] Modules

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Wed Apr 14 20:40:03 EDT 1999

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 19:39:30 -0400 "Jim Popovitch"
<jimpop at rocketship.com> writes:
>Sure!  I do it all the time.  Samba, Diald, FTP, updates, bug-fixes,
>new applications, and even a few games.  Where did you get the idea that
>everything had to be compiled?  Open Source means just that, it's
>*open*, as in available for you to use.  It doesn't mean you have to
take
>advantage of it's openness and compile everything.  Some guys (and gals)
do, but
>then there are still those among us who change the oil in their own
cars.

No, I don't think you understood the question. I can download and install
games and programs (many of which I must compile, but not all). The
question relates more to stuff the kernel can do. For example, I do not
have the kernel source installed and I am using a precompiled kernel. The
precompiled kernels (at least the Slackware ones) do NOT have sound
support in them. I would like to add sound support but I can't compile
the kernel. How can I do that? Do I need to clarify more? Am I using the
wrong terminology?

Michael Golden
Naugrim at Juno.com (Normal, no attachments)
MGolden at Airapps.com (Only for messages with attachments.)
Slackware 3.5 (2.0.34) Linux user -- Linux Advocate

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]