[ale] Kernel Parameters

UnderGrid Founder undrgrid at undergrid.net
Tue Apr 13 09:50:49 EDT 1999

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

	As other people mentioned you can lookin in the kernel include=20
files... however if you are runnin the latest 2.2 kernel you will find=20
that atleast shmmax is reconfigurable by echo the new setting to the=20
file /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax. I am not sure at this time what other of
these settings are available via this method but I believe I remember
seeing that SHMMAX was used to calculate several other values. I actually
install'd Oracle8.0.5 on one of my Debian boxes and had no problems running
my standard 2.2 kernel. Of course I wasn't worried about optomizin the=20
performance at that time, just kickin the tires to see how it ran...

	Respectfully,
	Jeremy T. Bouse

Brubakken, Eric decided to waste my bandwidth saying:
> I need to configure the kernel parameters for Linux ( RH 5.2).  I am still
> learning just about everything for Linux, so I am not sure where/now to do
> this.  These parameters are:
>=20
> SHMMAX
> SHMMIN
> SHMSEG
> SEMMNS
> SEMMNI
> SEMMSL
>=20
> These are parameters for Oracle8.  What is not clear to me is, are these
> parameters or systems vars that could be set in the .profile.  The install
> on this part is very vague.  Has anyone done an Oracle8 install?
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
> Eric

--=20
,--------------------------------------------------------------------------=
---,
| Jeremy T. Bouse  -  UnderGrid Network Services, LLC  -   www.UnderGrid.ne=
t  |
|     PGP ID/Fingerprint: 1024/E83D9AE5/4ACC03F098D78198 19D0593E50E597E9  =
   |
|   Public PGP key available by sending email with 'send pgpkey' in subject=
   |
| undrgrid at UnderGrid.net  -  NIC Whois: JB5713  -  Jeremy.Bouse at UnderGrid.n=
et |
|            /earth is 98% full ... please delete anyone you can.          =

---'

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2

--UlVJffcvxoiEqYs2--