[ale] diald question - The saga continues ...

Nick Lucent nlucent at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 12 00:22:54 EDT 1999

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Eric Ayers wrote:

> Why is everyone still using diald?  I am having great luck just using
> pppd by itself to connect to mindspring.  It runs as a daemon and
> dials out whenever I have traffic to send. In my rc.local script I have:

Well, I decided to take this idea and run w/ it, after messing around w/
the scripts included for a couple hours I learned that in debian all you
have to do is add "demand idle 600 holdoff 20" to /etc/ppp/peers/provider
and you should _in theory_ be done =). well we all know how that goes.
First pppd complained about needing an ip address so I added :168.121.1.1
to that same file, but now when I try  to start pppd I get this message in
logs
Apr 12 00:20:39 grumpy pppd[514]: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
Apr 12 00:20:39 grumpy pppd[514]: Using interface ppp0
Apr 12 00:20:39 grumpy pppd[514]: ioctl(SIOCSIFDSTADDR): Cannot assign
requested address(99)
Apr 12 00:20:39 grumpy pppd[514]: Exit.

anyone happen to know what SIOCSIFDSTADDR is?

Again, thanks for your help everyone

Nick