[ale] remote Printer...

Nick Lucent nlucent at mindspring.com
Sun Apr 11 20:34:12 EDT 1999

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Venkatesh Dattathri wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Nick Lucent wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Venkatesh Dattathri wrote:
> >

> > > hi,
> > >
> > >  I have setup a remote printer. I have m/c A connected to the printer. I
> > > can print from m/c A to the printer by viewing it as local and remote
> > > printers. But i am not able to print remotely from m/c B which is on the
> > > network.
> > >

> > I have no idea what m/c is, but make sure you put the other machine names
> > in /etc/hosts.lpd or lpd wont allow them to connect/print
> >
> > Nick
> >

>  m/c ==> machine (sorry for the so called abbreviation)..
>
> I have the hostname in the /etc/hosts.lpd .. and it does not work..

Are you sure that you have the printcap on machine B setup to print to
machine a? what kind of error are you getting when you lpr a file? heres
my printcap that I use to print to a remote (linux) machine (grumpy).

lp|hpdj500|HP DeskJet 500:\
	:lp=/dev/null:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpdj500:rm=grumpy:rp=hpdj500:\
	:sh:pw#80:pl#66:px#1440:mx#0:\
	:if=/etc/magicfilter/dj500-filter:\
	:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

hope that helps