[ale] lpd offline?

Eric Ayers eric.ayers at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 9 07:08:04 EDT 1999

Nick Lucent wrote:

> hey everyone, again im setting up this machine, and when I try to print
> over the network it queues fine, but never prints. when I try to run lpc
> locally I get
>
> lpc> status
> lp:
>         queuing is enabled
>         printing is enabled
>         1 entry in spool area
>         waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
> lpc> q
>
> Ive tried restarting lpd, tried running it w/ -l (log network requests)
> tried turning the printer off and back on etc. it keeps saying its
> offline. I know that it did work before I went to bed this morning.
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks Nick

LPD really stinks in this arena.  It always does
this kind of CRAP! I'd check:

1) is the printer driver compiled into the kernel?

run dmesg and look for the lp line and see that the
printer is recognized.

cat /proc/ioports  (should show some sort of printer device)

2) Are you using the correct device?  lp1 is usually the
correct device under kernels 2.0.X, lp0 is the correct
device under kernels 2.2.x.

3) If you are using 2.2.x, try compiling the driver
into the kernel. the driver was split up and
it is more difficult to manage.