[ale] HTML editing

John Mills jmmills at avana.net
Thu Apr 8 21:27:12 EDT 1999

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Patrick Ramsey wrote:
> Anyone know of any decent html editors for Linux?

Patrick -

I was editing SGML and found that (surprise) Emacs with suitable bindings
worked very well.  I expect that HTML bindings would be either (1)
available, or (2) you could use the HTML DTD to enable the proper context
sensitivity.  I did find that color highlighting was TOOOO SLOOWWW
for the large docs I was working on. There is a book you may want to track
down:

_SGML_CD_, Bob DuCharme, Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-475740-8

Chapter 11 ordered it for me at their usual 20% discount for computer
books.  The referenced CD includes materials for SGML work in Unix and
Win, and installables for both.  Instead I got more current sources
(my Python and Perl needed upgrades) and built from sources.  There is
also an SGML web site with references to other related sites. I expect you
could find something on HTML tools through it; I don't have the link
handy, but a couple of searches should find it.

You may also wish to look around the 'linuxdocs' project resources - again
SGML, which supports HTML.

DISCLAIMER - I'm no expert - I was just doing routine markup on a number
of manuals.

 Regards -
 John Mills

      "Planned Parenthood" may be the most hilarious phrase in English.