[ale] VMWare

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Thu Apr 8 16:05:01 EDT 1999

Michael Hirsch wrote:

> Well, my understanding is that VNC is for sharing a desktop, i.e. two
> different monitors will display the same thing.  This is quite
> different from running separate X sessions on two machines.

I've not done the win95->linux solution, but I have done the
linux->win95 solution and what you get is an X window with the desktop
of the win95 machine in it, much like PCanywhere, only with Linux.  So,
you have full control of both machines from one desktop.  You can check
Outlook email on your NT box, whilst using elm in another window.
There's also a browser interface as well.

> Please correct me: Can VNC be used just to supply an X server on a
> win95 machine?

I'm not completely clear on this, but I think you can.  Primarily
because, as I said, I've not done it from win95->Linux, but I have done
it from Linux->win95.

The VNC folks recommend that you do the win95->Linux solution vs. the
Linux->win95 because it's more efficient.

So, without doing it, I'm willing to bet that if you fire the vnc viewer
on a win95 box and point it at your Linux box, that what you will have
is a separate window on your MS box that is a functional view of your
Linux X desktop.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

It should be illegal to yell "Y2K" in a crowded economy.
	-- Larry Wall, creator of the programming language Perl