[ale] VMWare

Michael Hirsch hirsch at mathcs.emory.edu
Thu Apr 8 14:34:09 EDT 1999

Wandered Inn writes:
> "Brubakken, Eric" wrote:
> >
> > I am looking for some product that will allow me connect to my Linux box (
> > RH 5.2 ) from a winbox and run the Linux GUI interface - xterm or whatever.
> > Will VMWare do this?  Or is anything else out there I can use?
>
> What you want is VNC.  Check out http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

That doesn't sound right.  What you want is an X server for Windows.
VNC is massive bandwidth overkill.  It also wouldn't allow you to run
different programs ont he two computers simultaneously.

The only one I have any experience is Hummingbird's exceed
http://www.hummingbird.com/products/nc/exceed/index.html

My experience is so limited that I can't even comment on it, except to
say that it worked the one time I needed it.

There are a couple free one, I think, that more or less work, too.

--Michael