[ale] VMWare General Question

Nomad the Wanderer nomad at orci.com
Thu Apr 8 08:37:23 EDT 1999

3 Things,
  This is Linux ralated since it makes running 98 easier.  My boss is
giving up on converting me to 98 since in worste case scenario I can
run in a window now, and I don't have to reboot... :>

  The vmware-tools on their site includes custom drivers for 98 which
lets you do higher resolutions.  My runs 1280x1024x16M.

  They also have custom versions of XF86 and the patch to make your
own.  i didn't want to custom compile since it usually fails for me
so I mailed them to see if they had a S3V version.  They didn't so
they made one and asked me to test it.  It's working beatefully.

  If you have questions on cutom drivers, etc, ask them.  They're
very helpful.

Robert

Thus spake root (db at disctech.net):

> Okay, Okay--
>
> I realize I'm probably going to get barked at on this one, but I feel
> it's a linux-related question. :)
> I'm using VMWare for linux, which by the way is truly amazing, if you
> havent seen it yet.
>
> Anyways, the question comes when I load the other OS in VMWare which
> *ahem* happens to be Win98 *cringe*.   Since VMWare requires its own
> X-server, is there any ways to get "accelerated" graphics inside the
> VMWare screen?  (I'm only getting 16 colors.  It's quite annoying).
> What hardware would Windows recognize an X-server as?
>
> If you feel I need to be lambasted, please do so in a polite way. :)
>

> --
> david a. brooks
> trusted net, inc.
> http://www.trusted.net
> voice: .. (770) 425-5700 x.280
> pager: .. (770) 379-2333
> :wq

Robert L. Harris                |    Windows is to Unix
Senior System Administrator II  |      what 'hooked on phonics'
  at Great West Life.           \_       is to Shakespeare

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

FYI: