[ale] Linux - BellSouth Connection

Stephen F Nicholas hcssfn at panther.gsu.edu
Tue Sep 15 00:33:50 EDT 1998

Hello all,
  For the past 1.5 years, I've had a ppp connection via BellSouth using
Linux.  This broke 1.5 weeks ago.  According to the logs, it gets my ID
and password and then dies.  I can connect successfully using 95 b :(

  Talked with BellSouth this past weekend, and they assured me nothing
has changed (figured password authentication had changed.)  They were
actually quite cordial regarding my Linux boxes (the supervisor runs Slackware.)

  OK, so I did a full reinstall from tape..same problem.  Did a new
install from a RedHat 5.1 cdrom (yes, I included the patches)...same
thing.  Booted up my wife's ps ( my old one, running RH 4.2)..same
problem.  Something has changed, and they're not aware of it (been there,
done that.)  I'd like to keep them, but something is terribly amiss.

Any Linux users connecting through BellSouth out there??  Any
suggestions??

Info:
233 MMX 64MB RAM
RedHat 5.1 with 'some' patches
28.8 Motorola Modem
4.3 WD HD UDMA
SB 64 Value Sound Card
10x cdrom (Hi-Val - it works.)

Wifes:
486 - 80 40MB RAM
RedHat 4.2 with patches
14.4 Sportster  USR
1.2 GB WD
430 WD (slave)

Mine is running ip masq and has been sucessful fo a long time running.

Suggestions welcome.

Steve

| Steve Nicholas             |                        |
| Help Center Services       |  A risk is not a risk  |
| Georgia State University   |  until it is taken.    |
| snicholas at gsu.edu          |                        |
| HTTP://www.gsu.edu/help    |                        |