[ale] /proc/interrupts

hne hne_noreply_ at inetnow.net
Mon Sep 14 12:58:54 EDT 1998

  IRQ 13 was originally designed to "call" the floating point chip, back
when the FPU was seperate from the CPU (the 80286 had the 80287 & the
80386 had the 80387, I don't remember if there was a FPU avail for the
8086).  It uses IRQs just much like any other interrupt drive device
does (com ports, network cards, non-polled printer ports).  Load a
registers, call the IRQ 13, FPU picks up the registers, computes the
numbers, puts the answers back, returns from the interrupt.