[ale] Remote printing

Matt Shade mshade at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 10 09:32:17 EDT 1998

I've always had a printer setup on my main machine here, but decided to
move it off to another and use the other machine as a print server.
However, I'm not getting it to print from my other machines. An lpc stat
shows
              waiting for queue to be enabled on tyrone
(tyrone has the printer attached)

I know I'm not doing something right here, because I can't even rlogin
to tyrone without having to give a password, also. I've setup a
hosts.equiv file. No help. I setup hosts.lpd hoping that would allow
printing. No help. I even setup a .rhosts file in the root directory
(I've been testing as root). No help.

When I try 'rsh tyrone ls' I get permission denied.
I checked inetd.conf and services and everything that looks even
remotely relative is uncommented (except the Kerberos stuff, but I don't
want to get into that stuff). As it stands now, I print to a file, copy
it over, then I can print to the printer.
Any ideas what I'm missing?

Matt