[ale] <Off Topic:> BeOS

Michael D. Ivey ivey at realminfo.com
Wed Sep 9 10:51:49 EDT 1998

On Wed, Sep 09, 1998 at 10:27:53AM -0400, Chris Hamiltion wrote:
> been disabled. It will also allow you to push monitor settings beyond safe
> and even high performance settings. I'm not sure what the details are, but
> from what I gather, it can fire your monitor's guns to the point that it
> damages your monitor.

So will X.  I've often wondered why the script kiddies don't do this more:

$ tired_old_remote_exploit victim.com
Connected to victim.com...
$ tired_old_root_exploit
# vi /etc/XF86Config
add REALLY hig modelines
# exit
$ exit

Laugh and wait.  Victim starts X, and bang.  Almost as good as the "Death
Ray Virus" from Weekly World News.

/mdi

--
Michael D. Ivey, RHCE  <ivey at realminfo.com>
Senior Technical Manager, REALM Information Technologies