[ale] absolute paths

frank zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Mon Sep 7 22:48:37 EDT 1998

Hi guys.
Another 'newbie question', per the soft link when I ls -la and see:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xf86config => ../../../../etc/X11/xf86config

My RH 5.1 Xwin works fine, so obviously the above is as it should be, uh,
well, I guess! :) But, what's the deal with the '../../../../' leading the
second path, since that path is absolute, anyway? How does this apply to
the rules for using ln -s per the above, or, was this created for some
strange reason as a result of the RH Xwin setup, or, is it all just an
illusion of ls -la? (G)
Thanks!
-- fgz