[ale] ZIP drive

rexj at networx.com.au rexj at networx.com.au
Mon Sep 7 15:22:09 EDT 1998

My smail is giving trouble, so for the moment I am unable to
send personal thanks to each of the seven persons, who promptly
and courteously replied to my query re using an Iomega internal
IDE ZIP drive on Linux 2.0.29.  Anyway, thanks guys!

Summary of replies:  You need to upgrade to at least 2.0.31, better
still, 2.0.33 or later.  Then build a kernel with "IDE floppy"
support, and that's all you need to handle the ZIP drive just like
any IDE hard drive. Iomega formats it as Extended Partition 4, but
you can re-format to Partition 1 and run mke2fs to put a Linux
system on it.  You can mount it in "noauto" mode.  If your mount
point is /dev/zip, for example, you can put one or both of the
following lines into  /etc/fstab, depending on which way you want
to go:

/dev/zip /dos_zip msdos user,exec,noauto 0 0
/dev/zip /lin_zip ext2  user,exec,noauto 0 0

--
Cheers,
Rex                    Rex Jooste           rexj at networx.com.au