[ale] lost+found

Jay Finch horus at larp.com
Thu Oct 29 13:53:13 EST 1998

So I take it that removing the lost+found directory is a Bad Thing(tm)?

Oops.

Jay

At 01:41 PM 10/29/98 -0500, Daniel S Cox wrote:
>Ben,
>
>	If you have the Edition VII (yeah, I'm showing my age) documents, one of
>the articles in there explains what it's all about.
>
>	The skinny: when fsck runs, and happens to find an unattached file (an
>inode entry that points to valid data and everything, but has no directory
>entry), it'll put it in lost+found.  Since a directory is
>'just-another-file' (at least to the file system), if there isn't room, it
>would have to allocate a new block from the free list.  Well, if you're in
>the middle of repairing the file system, this is a Bad Thing (TM).  So,
>when the file system is created, lost+found is also created, and expanded
>(by creating several dozen files, and then removing them).  Then, if fsck
>must re-attach a file, it just enters the name and inode number in the
>lost+found directory.
>
>	Clear as mud?
>
>Danny

-----
Jay Finch                       : "Convenience is the rule, live life
Owner/GKE of NERO-Atlanta       :  from day to day.  Reduction of
(770) 650-0410  (voice)         :  ambition is becoming the way.
(770) 902-3049  (pager)         :  Education lowers the standards, in
webmaster at larp.com              :  an attempt to be fair.  Lack of
horus at larp.com                  :  encouragement, cause the students
kateth at bck.org                  :  not to care."
MTBI Survey says:  ENXJ         :        -- Dance Hall Crashers
      Check out my home page at:  http://www.photobooks.com/~horus/