[ale] lpd/lpr printing

Jerry Yu zyu at tc.net
Wed Oct 28 10:15:12 EST 1998

hi, David,

I guess you are looking for 'man printcap'.
excerpts:
     rs         bool      false                  restrict remote users to
                                                 those with local accounts

I had same problem before. I checked the /etc/printcap generated by the
printtool in control-panel. There is no 'rs' flag. If this flag is 'true'
then you will have this kind of behavior. So, it seemed to me that RedHat
had compiled its hacked lpd with 'rs' flag turned on. User 'root' from
remote hosts should have no problem though, assume the remote host is in
hosts.lpd.

wondered whether  it works if you do sth in /etc/printcap as counter
measure.

just wanna help.

Jerry Yu
Systems Engineer	| zyu at tc.net
Premiere Technologies	| 404-262-8544(O)
Atlanta, GA 30326	| ae.tc.net/dept/engineering/op/public/developer/zyu