[ale] diald

Mike Williamson mikew at tcprod.com
Tue Oct 27 10:01:27 EST 1998

> Anybody else remember what they did to get theirs working?

I worked on this issue this weekend so it is fresh--  here's what I did:

Forget about diald.  (I'm not being a smart*ss, really!)

Get the latest version of pppd which has the diald functionality built-in.
 The latest version is a loadable module, not built-in to the kernel.

Found out that I couldn't get the ppp module to compile properly until I
downloaded the complete 2.0.35 kernel & compiled from there.  Patches to
2.0.32 weren't effective for me.

Follow the direction in the Diald Mini How-To.  This how-to deals with
diald as a function of the newer, modular pppd.  The only difference I
found in the How-To was a reference to an "idle-timeout" parameter-- the
actual 'command line option' was something like "idle" instead.