[ale] Root Password Problem

Ryan twobarrel at amdyne.net
Tue Oct 20 21:00:01 EDT 1998

    In regards to a previous email I submitted, I had asked the
following -- I am running Linux servers using Caldera's 2.0.29
kernel.  There are possibly 200 of these machines in the field, all
being identical.  They are duped from the same drive.  Only a handful
are experiencing a problem where when 'root' is logged in, a password
is required.  The use of ' su root' from a lower level user is fine,
no passowrd is required.  The password is deleted from the /etc/passwd
file.  /etc/securetty is ok, the appropriate consoles and ports are
listed.  I just can not log in root.  As I said also, this is only
happening on a few machines.
    Are there other files that lock root out or prevent its use?

    Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

        Ryan

--
You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????