[ale] Root Password problem

Ryan twobarrel at amdyne.net
Tue Oct 20 00:19:49 EDT 1998

    I work for a company who has numerous, numerous Linux servers out
in the field.  We are running Caldera's version, 2.0.29? and 2.0.33
We / I have begun to notice that there are some servers that can not
log in as root.  We delete the password from the /etc/password file,
but this problem has just come up after a few months of use.  If I log
in as a lower level user, I can issue the su root command, hit enter
for the password and obtain root permissions.
    Are there any files I can look at to try to determine where the
problem is or are there any suggestions I can follow up on?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.  ( Don't ya love it when
you don't get noticed til you find a problem? )

        Ryan

--
You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????