[ale] I don't wanna rebuild AGAIN

ari myo at thy.ml.org
Mon Oct 12 21:41:51 EDT 1998

first of all, check in the "lost+found" dierctory off that partition, for any
deletions done by fsck.

second, can other files use libX11.so.6?

third, how's the output on `ldd xvscan`?

3.5th, locate won't have changed unless you ran updatedb since you rebooted,
but if ldconfig finds the 6.1, and you can actually sum the file, it should
be present.

if you're familiar with gdb or strace (or ltrace), use one or more of them to
see where things are going wrong.

if you wish, you can simply install the package X3323upd.tgz from
ftp.xfree86.org (you can choose libc5 or glibc2 binaries), or if you want to
build from the src, you can just build the xc/lib subdirectory, or the
xc/lib/X11 dir if you want to be specific about things.  to build from the
src, you only need X332src-1.tgz, not X332src-2.tgz or X332src-3.tgz.  you
need not use imake from the base subdir (xc/); rather from whatever subdir you
want to start building from.  theoretically, that should work, but it will
probably need some tweaking.  if so, do ask... tweaking is one of my
specialties.

ari