[ale] Su Problems

Michael D. Ivey ivey at realminfo.com
Thu Oct 8 19:59:00 EDT 1998

On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 09:00:10AM +1000, denethor wrote:
> Hi again. I seem to be having problems adding a user from remote host.

Adding a user from a local login or a remote session SHOULD be identical.

> after logging in with my normal account, I change to root (su command)
> log in, there is a man entrry for useradd, but when I try to use it , it

'su' by itself doesn't load root's .bash_profile.  You'll need to either
o   use 'su -' to get a login shell
o   specify the full path to /usr/sbin/useradd or /usr/sbin/adduser

> I think I have add user rites to remote logging in for the root dir. Is
> this correct? and if so how do I go about doing this...

I've never heard of these rites...is this something to do with the
Erisian movement?  Or is it a BOFH thing?  =)

> denethor

/mdi

--
Michael D. Ivey  -  Director of Emerging Technologies
ivey at realminfo.com    http://www.realminfo.com/~ivey/