[ale] as86 trouble compiling kernel

Laith Haddadin laith_h at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 5 12:47:03 EDT 1998

Hi Ari,

  I downloaded kernel 2.0.35 but it only has the 34 kernel and you patch
it to make it 35.  I tried the 34 kernel and it to gave me the same
problem.  Is there a way to let 'as' do the assembling instead of
'as86'?  I've never had this problem before when I recompile my 32
kernel.  What gives?  May I have deleted a package that contains 'as86'?

>Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 13:27:05 -0400
>From: ari <myo at thy.dyn.ml.org>
>To: Laith Haddadin <laith_h at hotmail.com>, ale at cc.gatech.edu
>Subject: Re: [ale] as86 trouble compiling kernel
>
>Laith Haddadin (laith_h at hotmail.com) said this stuff:
>
>> Hi,
>>   I'm having trouble compiling a rh 2.0.33 kernel.  make zImage dies
>> after it makes the object files.  It spits out errors about as86:
>>
>> make[1]: Entering directory
>> `/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/linux/arch/i386/boot'as86 -0 -a -o
bootsect.o
>> bootsect.sas86: unrecognized option `-0'make[1]: *** [bootsect.o]
Error
>> 1make[1]: Leaving directory
>> `/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/linux/arch/i386/boot'make: *** [zImage]
Error 2

>you have a different version of as than the Makefile assumes (from the
looks
>of things, as86 is GNU as on your system, which doesn't accept -0).
This is