[ale] Linux as a Terminal Server?

Nomad the Wanderer nomad at orci.com
Thu Oct 1 22:48:29 EDT 1998

I want to connect ttyS0 (com0) on my Terminal Server to the console
port (ttya) on my server.

Thus spake Linux Idiot (esoteric at denali.atlnet.com):

> Stephan Uphoff wrote:
> >
> > > Ok,
> > >   I'm going crazy right now trying to find a "system" I can use as a
> > > terminal/console server. I need something that I can connect ttya from
> > > my Servers (SUN) to the serial of some machine and use it to remotly
> > > access the physical console of my server.  This way I can login as
> > > root remotely in an emergency (NIS  is down) or send a STOP-A/break
> > > to hardbood the machine.  Does anyone know if I can do this with a
> > > Linux box with a serial port multiplier?  Has anyone done it?  Any
> > > suggestions?
> >
> > Take a look at "cu" .
> >
> >         cu -l /dev/cua0
>
> This is the way we used to 'network' all our 3b2s (AT&T UNIX) when we
> had to create connectivity between them.  Used a null modem cable
> between serial ports.  You'll need to have a getty running to produce
> login:.
>
> --
> Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
>
> You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????

Robert L. Harris                |   You mean you paid
Senior System Administrator II  |        MONEY for
  at Great West Life.           \_    Service Pack '98???

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

FYI: