[ale] TouchScreen???

John M. Mills jmills at jmills.gtri.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 30 17:51:51 EST 1998

Gentle NtW--

We (GTRI/SDL) used an Emerald "embedded PC" with a touch screen.  The
driver was simple so far as user code was concerned: touching the screen
returned a message stuffed into console input, corresponding to the point
coordinates.  The app got a text command at stdin, in other words.
Emerald had tools to map the screen (quite non-linear in raw state), and
to associate text messages with [corrected] X-Y coordinates.

We ran Win3.1 and wrote the app in Borland C.  Default boot was a 3.5"
diskette, but that was normally _not_ in place; the secondary and usual
boot was an IDE-interfaced "flash card" of a few megs.  (Pop in a diskette
when you wanted to load an upgrade, for example.)

You might find out whether Emerald would release source (presumably under
a NDA as part of an order), or consider a Linux port of their utilities,
presuming you buy their screen.  The screen at that time ('95?) came with
either a mono-ega interface or part of the embedded PC which we bought.
It was an OEM part which you could buy, but needed significant support
logic.  I could probably retreive the maker of the screen (ELO??) if you
needed it.

  John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer -- john.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
  Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
         Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
  "Give someone a fish and they can eat for a day.  Teach them to use the
   InterNet and they won't bother you for weeks." - from posted news item