[ale] displays

Todd Graham Lewis tlewis at mindspring.net
Sun Nov 29 14:53:41 EST 1998

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Marc Vogt wrote:

> All this display stuff reminded me of a question that I've had for
> a while.  When you export a display as described previously,
> sometimes the application is too big for the way you have your screen
> set up (640x480 with 800x600 for my little laptop).  How can you
> change the size of the application exteriorly ( that is without
> configuring the ap itself)?  Can you just use something like
> 'swallow'?  Any tips appreciated.

There is no way to scale an application down to a lower resolution,
the same way you scale an image.  You can have your window manager or
session manager start it up with a different geometry, which will
obscure part of your window.  How you do that (and whether you can do
it at all) depends on your w or s mgr.  I've never cared enough to
do it, so I can't offer any advice but to rtfm.

Todd Graham Lewis      MindSpring Enterprises    tlewis at mindspring.net
 The Windows 2000 name was obviously created over a glass of root beer
  in the company cafeteria by a couple of executives looking for a way
   out of the Windows NT delays.                     -- John C. Dvorak