[ale] Preloading disk cache

Todd Graham Lewis tlewis at mindspring.net
Sun Nov 29 14:49:04 EST 1998

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998 jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com wrote:

> Bear in mind that in this case the server is a local-bus 486DX2/66 with a
> single IDE drive and 16MB RAM and the client is a 486DX/33 with only 8MB
> RAM

Are you trying to cache more than 16 MB of information in less than 16 MB
of memory?  It sure sounds like it.  If so, then there's not much that you
can do, unless you want to write your own coordination protocol to allow
one to induce the server to preload your files in a just-in-time manner.
If you need faster performance, then put more RAM in the box or start
being clever; all of the easy options have been tried.

I'm now waiting for someone else to propose another easy option.  8^)
I'm not holding my breath, though.

Todd Graham Lewis      MindSpring Enterprises    tlewis at mindspring.net
 The Windows 2000 name was obviously created over a glass of root beer
  in the company cafeteria by a couple of executives looking for a way
   out of the Windows NT delays.                     -- John C. Dvorak