[ale] netcfg

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Fri Nov 27 10:51:02 EST 1998

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998 jeff_hubbs at mcgraw-hill.com wrote:

> Regarding "The lesson learned is do not use ISA NICs on a mobo that
> contains PCI slots. Use PCI NICs only." - What's the story here?  Can
> someone
> elaborate?  Does this only apply to the multi-homing?

I have no idea what he's talking about, but it's not true as a general case.
Before I upgraded my home network to 100 Mbit, I had two ISA NICs in my
firewall box and it worked great.  Now, I have two 100 Mbit PCI cards in it,
and it still works great, just faster ;-).

Furthermore, there are cases where you *have* to use an ISA NIC in a PCI
machine.  I've got an old PCI motherboard which only has one bus-mastering
PCI slot; the other two are slaves.  The video card I use in that machine
requires a bus-master slot, and I've yet to find a PCI ethernet card which
doesn't hang the machine on boot-up (since PCI ethernet, regardless of what
the package may tell you, apparently requires a master slot as well).  The
machine works well with a 3c509, though.

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                            kaboom at gatech.edu