[ale] lm_78 stuff

handran at mindspring.com handran at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 25 21:51:06 EST 1998

>Since someone asked me about this,
>
>For those of you with recent motherboards who don't already know about it,
>take a look at
>
>http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/
>
>It's a module that lets you view all the data about your running
>computer (CPU temp, core voltage, fan rpms, etc.) from your LM78 or similar
>chip. It's handy if you have a celeron 300A running at 450 that you're
>afraid of burning out (and from the looks of mine, your fears are
>groundless.  Even w/ a make -j of the kernel tree while I'm compiling
>mozilla, I haven't gotten above 30 C).
>  <snip>
>later,
>chris

I think the temp you are referring to is the motherboard temp, not the CPU
temp. The Celeron 300a does provide pin outs (B14 & B15) for it's on die
thermal diode, but to my knowledge there are no m/b manufacturers that are
presently utilizing those pins to allow CPU temp monitoring via the Slot 1
socket. There has been a lot of discussion on this subject for quite some
time in alt.comp.hardware.overclocking. If anyone knows of a m/b that will
allow Celeron CPU temp monitoring, I would be very interested in hearing
about it.

The Celeron data sheet has some info on the thermal diode interface on
pages 41 & 42 (i think)
ftp://download.intel.com/design/celeron/datashts/24365804.pdf

Now if one of you electronically gifted folks figure out how to "hot wire"
B14 &  B15 into giving up their (temp) info, be sure and post your results
here!!!<g>

regards,
 -HandRan