[ale] Printers under linux

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Tue May 12 11:56:06 EDT 1998

On 12 May, Vernard Martin wrote:
> My girlfriend wants to ditch Windows 95 completely and use WordPerfect for
> linux and printer from there as well. Is anybody currently doing this and can
> give me some information concerning this? She's running RedHat 4.2 linux (will
> probably go to 5.1 when it comes out). We're looking into getting one of the
> current inkjet style printers that are out there right now but don't want to
> buy one that is not supported under ghostscript.

That's a smart woman you've got there, V ;-).

I've got WP 6.0 for Linux (I'll upgrade when WP 8 Suite comes
out--finally, a standard presentation and spreadsheet package for
Linux!).  I print to a HP DeskJet 600 and an HP LaserJet over rlpr and
a Canon BJ-200e directly.  Just configure WP for "Pass-through
PostScript printer" (or something like that), and point the driver
towards a PostScript-capable print queue....  I can tell you more when
I'm at home and have access to WP if you need more info.

later,
chris

Chris Ricker                                        kaboom at gatech.edu