[ale] Linux can't see modem

Linux Idiot esoteric at atlnet.com
Sun May 10 22:56:13 EDT 1998

Jim Philips wrote:

> Ahh...the joys of setting up a new computer! I have solved all my other
> hardware problems, but Linux is having trouble seeing my modem. It is a
> no-name modem that came with the computer, a Quantex 333mhz. No
> documentation, so I don't know if it's a dreaded "Winmodem". Port number
> and IRQ are standard at port 2 and IRQ 3. Minicom never manages to
> initialize. It just sits there. I used setserial to refine port settings
> and everything is correct. As a test, I tried installing the modem that
> worked on my old computer. Minicom just crawled through the init string,
> but wouldn't finish and I couldn't dial. I am at a dead end. Are there
> any diagnostics I can run to tell me what is happening? I'll settle for
> diagnostics in Windows that would tell me whether or not this is a
> Winmodem. Win95's Hyperterminal seems like a useless beast in this
> situation.

I'd try a couple things.  Check out what Win95 thinks it is, see if it
appears to be a pnp modem.  Call the Quantex folks if you haven't
already and see if they can give you some info.  Check out the actual
board (internal I assume), you might find some clues there.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at atlnet.com

NT is secure.... as long as you don't remove the shrink wrap.
Want to speed up your NT box real cheap?  Replace NT with Linux...