[ale] Tilde character in Latex

Glynn Black blackgr at worldnet.att.net
Sat May 9 15:19:10 EDT 1998

This isn't a Linux question, but I don't know where else I might get a quick
answer.

I'm working on a Latex document where I need to include my personal web space
address ... home.att.net/~blackgr/. It appears that tilde is a special
character in Latex that can't be escaped or slashed as far as I have been able
to tell. Seems Latex is determined to place the tilde over a character. If I do
a home.att.net/\~blackgr/, the tilde appears over the b. There is the
\tilde{single character} tag, but here again the tilde is placed over the
character placed between the brackets. If I place a space between the brackets
hoping for a tilde over a space, Latex balks. Any of you Latex users crossed
this bridge before??

Glynn Black	blackgr at worldnet.att.net