[ale] libc5 vs libc6

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon May 4 09:59:46 EDT 1998

On  4 May, Nomad the Wanderer wrote:
> I moved the /lib/libc.so.5 and it looked happy, except mount wouldn't
> run anymore.  I figured that was a bad thing.  I linked libc.so.5 to
> libc.so.6 and it reported "sucess", however it wasn't mounting the
> filesystems.  When I put the original links back, it worked (and still
> is).

Do an ldd /bin/mount.  You'll probably find that it's linked against
libc5.  Simply recompile against glibc and you should be set.

BTW, there's a script floating around (don't remember the name
off-hand) that will tell you all the files on your system that are
a.out, elf, linked against what libraries, and things like that.  I
think it's intended for finding unused libs (so you can delete them to
save space), but it might be useful for finding everything linked
against libc5....  If you can't find it, you can make your own with
find, file, and ldd.

> Sue you?  As many of my stupid questions as you've answered?

I've long since learned that it's best to include a disclaimer when
telling someone to delete libc ;-).

later,
chris

Chris Ricker						kaboom at gatech.edu