[ale] Ethernet Hub Question

Glynn Black blackgr at glynn.play.org
Fri Jun 26 17:40:21 EDT 1998

A question for you network folk:

 I'm planning to put together a small LAN with Linux and PostgreSQL on the
 server end and Win32 Machines on the client end.  I'm having to do this as
 cheaply as possible and the network portion is taking me a wee bit out of my
 range of experience.  I'm looking at two 16 port 10baseT hubs, one will be
 connecting to my workstation and the server, the other will drop down a
 floor and connect to the target users.

 I am concerned that I will exceed the allowable distance for 10baseT
 between the two hubs/floors.  I haven't made a hub purchase yet (I'm going
 through catalogs that have accumulated around here), but descriptions make
 mention of 10base2 connectors and BNC/AUI backbone support.  If I understand
 correctly, I can get greater distance with the thinnet stuff. Can I use
 thinnet to connect the hubs???

Glynn Black	blackgr at worldnet.att.net