[ale] Re: Seen this? Yuk Yuk...

Nomad the Wanderer nomad at orci.com
Mon Jun 22 14:33:26 EDT 1998

I find this just scary.  People here where I work ar having a fit because
I put Linux on my desktop.  "Who's gonna support it?" is the most important
question.  (Note my tittle in my .sig for the irony)...

I wonder who's gonna get shot if anyone wakes up.  With tht 16Gig Mailbox
limit on Exchange5 (for ALL email users on that server) alot of people
complained, but no one did anything.  Now with this MS Word insecurity issue,
still no one is thinking of alternatives, even though they are super security
sensitive (VERY few people have internet access for security reasons).  They
use M$ products for for most inhouse tasks...

Really Sad...  but I am still fighting...

Robert

Thus spake Adam Wiggins (adam at angel.com):

> On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, Tracy R Reed wrote:
> > Hmm...is this guy for Linux, or against it? His humor was a bit subtle.
> > Since he threw the penguin out the window, I think he was saying that
> > Linux was too much trouble.
>
> Either way I found it quite funny.
>
> I think his attitude was probably very similar to that of most people that
> are aware of Linux but don't use it, which is something along the lines
> of: "Yeah, Microsoft sure does piss me off, and I'd sure like to say
> 'screw them' and use Linux or whatever, but it's just way too much trouble
> to be a rebel."
>
> I sympathize.  *I* did have the time and inclination to be a rebel (plus a
> working knowledge of UNIX and OS workings in general) when I started with
> Linux, and it was rough going in places.  It's paid itself back a hundred
> times over in increased producitivity (==not rebooting my computer all day
> long, among other things) but this isn't much consolation to someone who's
> about to format their hard drive and forget everything they know about how
> their computer works, when all they want to do is browse the web and write
> letters to their sister.
>
> Adam

Robert L. Harris            |   Educate the Masses,
Senior System Administrator |      Don't just help them to
  at Great West Life.        \_       Remain ignorant.

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

FYI: