[ale] Problems printing 'pdf's

John M. Mills jmills at jmills.gtri.gatech.edu
Fri Jun 19 15:47:03 EDT 1998

I captured a series of inspirational 'pdf's:

>>Like most people, I want to puke when I see little framed posters on my
>>coworkers' desks ("Success: Success is a journey, not a destination" or
>>other drivel).
>>
>>Far better these posters for the modern workplace:
>>      http://www.mypages.com/dumbentia/sins.htm
>>
>>The 8 1/2 x 11 one I printed on our nice high-end color printer is
>>definitely making an impression on the office (discretion is advised
>>...)
Umm, yes.  Poor-Taste Alert and Viewer-Discretion Recommendation both
apply. (That ought to generate some hits!)

But now to my question:

The docs come over as 'pdf' and view fine in either xpdf-0.7a or
acroread-3.01 (Linux libc.5), but I haven't been able to print them
successfully in Linux or to generate printable *.ps files from them.  I
can write a *.ps from 'xpdf', but the images seem to have an embedded JPEG
image which gets lost in the transfer.  'acroread' just generates a
one-line error at the printer:
"Error: /ioerror in --%image_process_continue--
                                               Additional information:
             [continues:] (JPEG data [... and on off the edge of the page]

Win95 Acrobat Reader likewise shows them, and can print them, but this
takes forever and I would like to try some other printers, some image
brightening, and (most important) get a format I can use as an X
background.

Any suggestions are welcome, including debugging suggestions.  If someone
can point me to some sample color 'pdf' images which _do_ print
successfully out of 'acroread' and/or 'xpdf', that might also help me
debugging this.

John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.mills at gtri.gatech.edu
  Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834
       Phone contacts: 404.894.0151 (voice), 404.894.6285 (FAX)
         "The older I get, the better I was." -- Unknown Sage