[ale] Network Utility

Jason Boyles jason at chunk.hboc.com
Wed Jul 29 16:09:19 EDT 1998

On Wed, Jul 29, 1998 at 03:08:25PM -0400, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> 	Hmm... did you try doing a 'ping' to the machine... then do a
> 'arp -a' and check for that host in the arp table... should work fine...

This will only work if the target is on the same subnet as the pinging host.

Otherwise, you'll have to query a host on the target's subnet to
get that information.

If you can access an SNMP community on the router on the target host's
subnet there's a standard part of the MIB that contains the ARP cache.

The CMU SNMP utils can help there. Play around with snmpwalk, targetting
a router (or other host providing SNMP services) on the same subnet as
the target.

Sorry, can't remember the MIB ID!

----
Jason Boyles <jason at chunk.hboc.com>
"Do you ever just feel thankful that you know me and have access to my
dementia? Explain. Be prepared to discuss in class."