[ale] RH5.1 and X

Darshan Kadam pncrxrn at snt.bellsouth.com
Wed Jul 29 10:01:16 EDT 1998

Hi,
        We just loaded RedHat 5.1 on a Dell m/c at work.  After starting the
        X server the monitor displays a blue screen and a cross-haired mouse
        pointer in the center.  The mouse doesn't move, nor do any keys work.
        It almost seems as though X starts ok but it has some mouse problems.
        We have to reboot (use the 'reset' on the m/c) since everything seems
        to be frozen.

        The installation auto-probes all the hardware and detects the video
        card which is a S3 Virge, however the Superprobe shows 1M of VRAM
        when the card has 8M.  At least that's what the manual and Window's NT
        Diagnostics say.  The monitor is a Dell 17ES monitor.  We installed
        RedHat 5.0 and played around with the different options offered by
        the MetroX server with no success.  The mouse is a PS/2 one.
        Can anyone suggest any solutions to this problem?

        Thanks for any help.
        ..Darshan

        BellSouth Telecommunications (S&T)
        kadam_d at snt.bellsouth.com