[ale] Installs at LGS on Tues?

Jeremy T. Bouse undrgrid at undergrid.net
Mon Jul 27 23:22:44 EDT 1998

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, frank zamenski wrote:

> Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 22:59:16 -0400
> From: frank zamenski <fzamenski at voyager.net>
> To: ale at cc.gatech.edu
> Subject: Re: [ale] Installs at LGS on Tues?
>
> Jeremy, what specifically do you like about Debian?

	It's hard to pinpoint any one reason that stands out over all the
niceities (Is that a word?) that I've liked best is the the way the
distribution is handled. They don't rush the releases as RedHat does...
btu they don't wait forever to update like Slackware.... You also don't
have to always reboot after an update like with Slackware or RedHat...
Here on my personal computer at home I install'd Hamm (2.0) before it was
officiially released so it was consider'd 'unstable' (if that really
described the system) but through the update system (dselect/apt/dpkg) it
is now actually consider'd slink (3.0). the update/upgrade is totally
transparent and there is no need to reboot except for kernel upgrades to
take affect.
	Another plus is the number of packages to install... Now that has
been discuss'd on other channels that the number of packages isn't a real
indicator of a distribution... but for me it means I have options... I
don't have to install a large package that may have a lot of extras I
don't want... I just get what I want and/or need... Lil factoid is Debian
mirrors are recommend'd to have 3GB harddrive space... And a distro cd
only has about 660MB so they only pick the best/most used packages to make
the CD...
	Now if you take a look at the install process of Debian... You
have 8-9 disks... that's more than RedHat or Slackware... but it gives you
a basic system with limit'd ability... however it includes PPP support by
default... then with dpkg/dselect or the apt add-on to dselect you install
only the packages you want/need after you get PPP setup and only. BTW
pppconfig is on the base disks and work'd fine for me...
	Not sure what else I could say without just fillin the list with
an endless discussion... Can always join #Linux on DALnet IRC where I
usually hangout and most ops run Debian or Slackware... Or I'll answer any
questions I can on a personal channel as not to barage the list...

	Respectfully,
	Jeremy T. Bouse

    Jeremy T. Bouse - SouthNet TeleComm Services, Inc - www.STSI.net
  PGP ID/Fingerprint: 1024/E83D9AE5/4ACC03F098D78198  19D0593E50E597E9
 Public PGP key available by sending email with 'send pgpkey' in subject
     undrgrid at UnderGrid.net - NIC Whois: JB5713 - undrgrid at STSI.net
          /earth is 98% full ... please delete anyone you can.