[ale] FYI... Oracle, Informix & CA to port databases to Linux...

Nomad the Wanderer nomad at orci.com
Tue Jul 21 21:02:31 EDT 1998

Please forward back any replies as it might help sway on our side...
The combination of veritas's power and the flexability/cost of Linux
would be very powerful.

Robert

Thus spake Brett Spangler (bretts at cmpu.net):

> I totally agree. We run Vertias for backup and for VM on 6 HP V boxes, 50
> K580's and 2 Ultra 10k's, off EMC 5700 fiber arrays, and it hauls. Trying
> to use Alltel's purchasing power, I asked Alltel's Vertias rep if they
> might be intrested in attending the 98 Atlanta Linux Showcase so they could
> get a first hand look at Linux and gauge "desire" for a product like
> Veritas in the Linux community.
>
> Haven't heard one way or another, but I guess we shall see..
>
> At 03:59 PM 7/21/98 -0600, Nomad the Wanderer wrote:
> >To anyone who does "volume management", I'm using Solaris and Veritas
> >for my large systems.  Raid5, 0+1 and the whole deal.  Great product,
> >but they don't see a point in porting to linux.  I'm calling them and
> >trying to get them to understand that I'm sure management would be willing
> >to pay out for a NFS/Samba server that offers the same or better
> reliablility,
> >stability and speed of a Sun box with just a fraction of the cost.
> >
> >If anyone else would look at this solution, call veritas and tell them.
> >If you want more info on it, I'll be glad to tell you what I can.
> >
> >Robert
> >
> >Thus spake Terry Lee Tucker (terry at esc1.com):
> >

> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Brett Spangler MCSE, CCIE, Sun Certified SA www.cmpu.net/naz
> export PATH=/state/alabama:/state/mississippi
> if [ "$fam_tree" !=fork ]; then
>      echo "Redneck"
> elif [ -x /chlorine/put ]; then
>    . /chlorine/put >> gene_pool
> fi

Robert L. Harris                |   Educate the Masses,
Senior System Administrator II  |      Don't just help them to
  at Great West Life.           \_       Remain ignorant.

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:

FYI: