[ale] Moving Right Along..

Dave[tm] spork at trusted.net
Mon Jul 20 01:00:31 EDT 1998

Thanks to all those who offered help on my printer problem -- I'll probably
be throwing up a few more questions regarding that pretty soon.  But as for
now...

I installed Slackware 3.5 yesterday, and I have a few problems to see if
anyone else has encountered.  1)  Slack 3.5 uses egcs -1.0.3 as opposed to
gcc 2.8.1.  When I tried to recompile the kernel, I noticed the stdout of
the "make zImage -j" looked like egcs was running itself with a '-W' flag by
default.  Is that normal?  Regarding the same thing - egcs dosent seem to
compile 2.0.34 (or 2.0.35 for that matter) modules all the way through.  It
compiles all my net drivers, but bombs on sound (which is a very -normal-
sound configuration, just your average SB Clone.  Gcc used to handle this
flawlessly).  Any clues?

2)  X related:  The new version of xf86config threw me for a loop.  When
prompted for the mouse type, one gets a few different choices:
Microsoft-compatible 2-button standard serial mouse, and a Mouse Systems
3-button serial mouse.  My mouse matches the description of the second,
however that choice has never worked correctly for me, and "Microsoft
compatible" has always been the choice, well, of choice.  Seems like with
the new version, whichever one of those I choose, no matter what options
therein I specify (chordmiddle, etc) the mouse cursor in X refuses to move.
Yet, with gpm, choosing Mouse Systems works fine.  Insight here would be
wonderful. :)

Gracious Thanks,
Dave
Trusted Net, Inc.