[ale] Printer Questions

Tony Scalzitti tscal at vnet.net
Sun Jul 19 02:03:08 EDT 1998

Mike Nelson wrote:

> If you don't want Samba, you can put a LPD daemon on the Win95 computer. You
> can buy the TCP/IP package from Netmanage, Hummingbird, or FTP software, which
> would be like paying to get your Yugo painted. They do offer eval software.
> If you somehow acquired Hummingbird Exceed, then you can run X sessions
> on your Win95 computer to talk to your Linux host for even greater perversity.
> I did it to see what it felt like. It was thrilling at first, but afterwards I
> felt cheap, and ashamed. But who am I to say what consenting adults do in the
> privacy of their home LAN?
>
> There's a shareware lpd for Win95  (winlpd.zip) that I've never used.
>
> You could put the printer on the computer running linux and put a shareware lpr
> spooler on the Win95 machine. Search www.shareware.com for "spooler" - There's
> a WLPRSPL spooler that lets you print from Windows to a Unix host. I
> have used the win3.1 version; it seemed to be OK.

I have used winlpd on 95 for my Solaris machines and it works fine (Just
as a note samba for solaris was a pain).  All in all I didn't find it
worth buying, I just changed the 95 box to NT4 WK.  NT at least supports
LPR clients native and it is better then 95. (but that's a bit like
saying one pig is prettier then another...)

--
Thank you
Tony