[ale] Off topic

Geoff Harrison mandrake at mandrake.net
Fri Jul 17 13:05:15 EDT 1998

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 12:49:54PM -0400, Vernard Martin wrote:
> > Assembler and C and algorithms as fundamental building blocks? Have they
> > been replaced with Windows 101 and Word Fundamentals? This is scary to
> > me.
>
> Even here at Ga Tech (which has steadily been rising up the charts towards
> being a top ten university in CS), we are seeing this trend. It seems to be the
> fault of the faculty that are designing the curriculum. The low level assembly
> and hardware courses are no longer taught in the CS curriculum. The Computer
> ENgineering department which is part of the Electricla Engineering dept is
> responsible for that. We also no longer offer hands-on networking labs.

That's such a shame, too.  I talked to someone who is a currently enrolled
freshman at tech about the new intro classes.  They're teaching HTML
as a part of the CS curriculum?  But then again a lot of my friends
who are also recent grads come out not being able to thing in anything
but OOP models.  Limiting yourself to one mode of thinking is always too
inhibitive.  Which is why I always want to prove people wrong when they
say there's only one way to do something.

Oh, and incidentally, I have begun work on my shell replacement, MAW.
look for some docs to pop up this weekend after enl 0.14 comes out
on saturday morning.

--
Geoff Harrison (http://mandrake.net)
Senior Systems Engineer